Let’s discuss with you the science behind fat loss and what you need to do to achieve your goals. The reason we want you to know this is because we’re going to place facts in front of you that are not confirmed by the WhatsApp community but by science itself!
The single most important thing you need to do is put your body into a calorie deficit to lose fat. There is no other way!
You might have heard this before but what the f**k is a calorie deficit? Our body just like anything is a part of nature and by the first law of thermodynamics, we can confirm that energy can never be created or destroyed it can only be transferred!
So in our case, we need to equate our calorie intake and calorie output. Our energy output comes from the exercise we do, from the daily movement that we perform, any action we do throughout the day. Basically we expend calories 24/7 just to exist and function on the daily basis while the energy input comes from the food we consume on a daily basis.
This is the concept of calories in vs calories out. In order to successfully be in a calorie deficit your calorie output has to be greater than your calorie input.
Factors That Determine Calorie Output
BMR vs RMR
- Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the minimum amount of energy your body requires to maintain life. This is not a very practical term, we will be using RMR which is the amount of calories you as an individual burn at a rested state – walking, standing, sitting and watching this video, and gestures, talking anything!
- Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) depends on a few factors: Your age, your height, your body fat level, your genetics, your gender,
Thermic Effect Of Food
- The amount of energy your body requires to digest the calories that you consume.
- Through macronutrients we consume carbs protein and fats. You will always hear people saying, have a high protein diet right? This is because the TEF of protein is the highest out of the three macro nutrients.
- Strength training
- A sport/hobby
Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT)
- We train for 1-2 max hours in a day but for the most part we are outside the gym. So what we do for most of the day will be the most important. This is neat.
- This is the most important component of calorie expenditure and is the make or break of your fat loss journey!
- How do we improve this? Simply but picking up a physical activity as a hobby or by increasing our steps throughout the day!
This shows you what factors contribute towards energy expenditure in the form of percentages. Exercise contributes less than 5% of your total daily energy expenditure versus your BMR and non-exercises activity thermogenesis which plays a more vital role – this is the reason every sensible coach would tell you to hit a minimum number of steps a day to keep you active outside your training sessions!
We will discuss this in detail as another topic but this is largely your calorie expenditure and nothing else!
Factors That Determine Calorie Input
Now comes the calorie input which is what we have complete control over, the food we put in our mouth!
Most of our calorie expenditure you cannot calculate, you can only assume or estimate! But our food intake can be tracked in the form of calories!
What is a calorie?
A calorie is the single most important metric we have to know if we are eating too much, too little or just the right amount to reach our goals. A calorie measures energy coming from each food, any food, every food- it is a standard measurement just like we measure kilometre for distance!
But the calorie composition of each food is different. We need to learn that by spending a few weeks, months learning the skill of calorie counting that we will learn in the coming episodes.
Calorie tracking and understanding macro nutrient intake has changed our life and a lot of our clients’ lives and has changed the way we look at food forever! I still love food more than anything else but I just know how much my body really needs!
Before you blame your metabolism, or complain about not being able to lose fat, take a look at your lifestyle, your eating habits and assess your daily consumption of food!
If you are not reaching your fat loss goals, you’re definitely not in a calorie deficit because that’s literally all you need to lose fat and be in a calorie deficit!
It’s simple, but not easy.
A lot of us think we are eating less, eating more, eating less than before, not too much, this and that but they’re all vague terms – there is no value to this and we need to now be more precise with our actions so that we get precise results!
When someone asks you your height, age or weight, you can answer them in a matter of seconds because you can quantify it and you know the value! But not many know how many calories they are consuming but yet complain that they don’t see any results! Start tacking because numbers do not lie!
Its one thing to have this knowledge and another to be consistent and implement all of this and that’s where everyone struggles! So if you want to be accountable and supported by the best community out there, the Kaizen Crew awaits you! All you need to do is sign up and you will meet like-minded individuals who want to achieve the same goals as you along with the guidance of experienced coaches to ensure that you follow through with all your commitments.